Book Tag; The Summer Bucket List Book Tag

I came across The Summer Bucket List Book Tag over at Read by Tiffany, and as it's summer, I decided to play along.


The Rules
  • Link back to the original creator in your post.
  • Feel free to use any of my graphics in your post, or create your own!
  • Tag 5 other people at the end of your post, and let them know you’ve tagged them.


If I had to recommend a book set by the water, it had to be The Sea by the Irish author John Banville, as it's beautifully written.


As I rarely read any romance novels as I more often than not find them a bit over the top and cheesy, I honestly struggle answering this one properly. I might be a tad cynical though, after having my heart broken too many times and thus think love/romance overrated.


A book that comes to mind, is The Last Children of Tokyo by Yōko Tawada as there was something about the story and the prose that I really enjoyed.


At Night All Blood is Black by David Diop is one of those books I just couldn't put down. While it gives you several punches in the stomach reading it, it's so well written.


Although I mentioned previously in this post I'm a bit cynical when it comes to romance novels and such, I did enjoy The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George. Perhaps what made the book okay for me, was the bookshop setting.


Pearl clutchers, watch out, as I'll be recommending Delta of Venus by Anaïs Nin for this one. That short story collection is a breath of fresh air in the sense that it shows it's possible finding well-written erotica/smut.


A book I think would fit this theme really good is Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko. It's about Tayo, a young Native American who was a POW in Japan during WWII, and his struggles after he comes home.


I have to answer The Kamogawa Food Detectives by Hisashi Kashiwai for this one, as the descriptions of food in this book made me really hungry. I wanted to eat it all.



Perhaps surprisingly enough I'll say Stoner by John Williams for this, as it made me start enjoying those quiet books a lot more. Not all books need to have a (fast-paced) plot.

By the way, I'll not tag anyone specifically, but if you want to do this tag, consider yourself tagged.

Comments