Book Tag; Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag

As the Mid-Year Freak Out Book Tag has been circulating for a bit in the recent weeks, I decided to join in on the fun of it, in part to take stock of my reading so far this year.

1. The best book you’ve read this year?
So far this year, Familiar Things by Hwang Son-Yong has been the best book I've read.

2. The best sequel you’ve read in 2026?
I really enjoyed reading The Cat Who Saved the Library by Sōsuke Natsukawa.

3. New release you haven’t read yet, but want to.
One of many new releases I want to read is John of John by Douglas Stuart.

4. Most anticipated release for the second half of the year?
One of the most anticipated releases for the second half in my eyes is Lady X by Molly Fader.

5. Biggest disappointment?
For me, it was Hunchback by Saou Ichikawa.

6. Biggest surprise?
A good surprise was Air by Christian Kracht.

7. Favourite new to you or debut author?
A favourite new-to-me author was Lyuba Yakimchuk with the poetry collection Apricots of Donbas.

8. Newest fictional crush?
None, as I rarely get fictional crushes.

9. Newest favourite character?
My two (!) newest favourite characters must be Koishi Kamogawa and her father Nagare from The Kamogawa Food Detectives by Hisashi Kashiwai.

10. Book that made you cry?
No books has made me cry so far this year.

11. Book that made you happy?
Days at the Torunka Café by Satoshi Yagisawa is one of several books that made me happy so far this year.

12. Favourite book to film adaptation?
I haven't seen any yet, so I don't know.

13. Favourite post you have done this year?
My favourite post so far this year, has to be the discussion post Literature-Inspired Aesthetics & The Potential Problems.

14. Most beautiful book you have bought this year?
That has to be the special edition of The Cat Who Saved the Library by Sōsuke Natsukawa.

15. What books do you need to read by the end of the year?
I don't have any specific plans on what books I need to read before the end of the year.

Comments